Frequently Asked Questions

London Electrical Solutions is always on hand to answer your questions about electrical works and to ensure you get the service you need while understanding the process from beginning to end.

Your safety is of paramount importance to everything we do. We are always happy to advise on the electrical requirements best suited to your needs, as well as to the future growth of your household or business.

In the interest of providing a starting point for your search, here are some of the most frequently asked questions about electrical work that we receive.


07795 428 683

What is an EICR?

An EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) is an inspection and report about the level of safety of the electrical installation in your home or commercial premises. These inspections should be carried out regularly and are a statutory requirement for certain building functions. More about EICRs can be found on the Electrical Safety First website.

Can I live in my house during a rewire?

Yes you can. However, a rewire is generally quicker and more cost effective when the premises is empty.

When redecorating, at which point should I have the electrical works carried out?

It is best to have electrical works carried out before you decorate and before any plastering is applied. The electrician should be one of the first trades called in.

I have commercial premises, how often do I need an EICR/periodic inspection?

You should have a routine check every year, however a periodic inspection would be done every 5 years or whenever there is a change of occupancy.

Are health and safety requirements different in a commercial premises compared to a home dwelling?

No. Health and Safety is paramount, whether domestic, commercial or industrial. The standards are stringent in all settings.

Is there standards to which electricians should work?

All electricians have to comply with the IET Wiring Regulations (BS7671:2008) and must have been certified by City & Guilds 2393. In addition, a professional electrician – regardless of the size of the company – should be affiliated to one of the governing bodies, such as NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting), JIB (The Joint Industry Board), or NAPIT (National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers).

Checkatrade-recommended London electrician

9.9 OUT OF 10

Checkatrade-recommended London electrician